Monday, March 24, 2014

Mission Update -- 10 Weeks in Brazil

OI TUDO MUNDO! (hi everyone) I'M BACK! Still living, yep.

(Wow, when I post this, it'll have been 6 weeks since my last update... oops...)

So we have transfers every 6 weeks, and I have 2 weeks left in my second transfer right now (hard to believe). I stayed in the same area with the same companion this transfer. I like this area a lot, so I didn't mind staying here for another 6 weeks. My companion is pretty awesome as well, so I'm glad to have had another transfer working with him. We haven't had any baptisms, yet -- but we have had people come to church a few times, and we're always finding new people to teach. We just have to keep trying -- I have faith! When we exercise our faith, we will see miracles.

Anyways, I'm getting the hang of Portuguese now! Speaking is getting to be easier -- more natural. Understand other people is the hard part! I'm getting better at that as well though. Before I got my mission call in July, I wasn't sure where I wanted to go, but I wanted to learn Spanish. Portuguese isn't Spanish, but it's really close! I actually like it a lot more than Spanish, to be honest. I think I'll try to learn Spanish during my second year in the mission field.


For the first 8 weeks here, I had been feeling sick (my stomach) on and off all the time, but I had another Elder give me a Priesthood blessing, and for the past 2 weeks, I haven't had any problems whatsoever! I think that was only the second time in my life that I'd gotten a Priesthood blessing -- but I definitely have a testimony of the healing power of the Priesthood now. I also had Dengue in my sixth and seventh weeks here (fever/headache/feeling really weak -- you get it from mosquitos). Brazil was kicking my butt for a while there! All is well now though. :)

I'm getting used to the heat -- it's not so bad once the sun sets around 5pm. The food here is always really good (and is always beans and rice, haha!). I don't mind walking everywhere since everything is pretty close. I kinda like living in the city -- but I still prefer suburban living over urban or country living. But yeah, I'm happy here in Brazil. I'm really enjoying teaching (and still have lots of room for improvement, hah), and talking with people, and helping people. My testimony and faith have grown so much since I left for my mission in December, and I am learning a lot here. I'm so grateful for this experience.

Oh, one last thing. My fiancee, Alissa, got her mission call this month! She'll be serving in the Chesapeake, Virginia mission, from April 16th, 2014 to October 16th, 2015. So she'll be getting back 1 month before I do (November 17th, 2015). I'm really excited for her to serve a mission -- I know that she is going to do great things on her mission! She's amazing, and has such a strong testimony of the gospel, and a lot of faith. It'll also be good, because we'll be able to help each other and give each other advice on missionary work and things.

I'll try to write updates more often in the future! I love and miss you all! I'm always praying for you.

Have a great week!

Feel free to write! Tchau!

-Elder Canto

P.S. I should be getting a voice recorder next month! (thank you, Alissa! :) )

1 comment: